Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Quick-segue-less-update day!

Today I was in the city and I saw a sign that said, "You MUST convert to born-again Christian or you WILL go to Hell." It was a neon sign. It made me laugh.

I also got another (ANOTHER!) notebook and I'm making pretty things in it. And then I painted some pictures, and maybe I will send some to my pen-pals. I read Martin Amis' The Rachel Papers, which despite its egotistical, sex-obsessed hero, was the funniest book I've read in as far as I can remember.

(I think I've perhaps read too much Brit Lit lately? Moore, McEwan, Rowling, Gaiman, Amis, Wilde...hm, I need to branch out, definitely. Hermann Hesse maybe?

I watched Sid and Nancy, a movie about Sid Vicious (of the Sex Pistols) and girlfriend Nancy Spungen--about their violent relationship and tragic end. It was upsetting, but quite deeply moving.

Also, I have Lyme disease (as a result of having two dogs who like rangy hikes, and of course of living in New England), but I just need three weeks of antibiotics and then I'll be fine. Only problem is, I can't swallow pills (I have an inexplicable but vehement aversion to medicine), so I have to open the capsules and eat the medicine with apple sauce (yuck) or ice cream (yum!). My sister, who for her depression has to take multiple medicines every morning, counseled me in the ways of pill-popping. Many a joke was made about our drug-dependent statuses.

I bought tickets for the Sufjan Stevens concert in September!

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST: I'm going away tomorrow, but just for a couple days. Mass MoCA, Dia:Beacon, and probably (ugh) a couple colleges. I'll pack myriad CD's for those looong hours on the road, natch...hm, I wonder how many times I'll oh-so-intelligently make oblique references to Kerouac over the course of the next two days? Eyes will roll, I will laugh. A good time will be had by all*.

*Footnote! For those certain stubborn English teachers who insist that the passive voice must never be used (hehe) under any circumstances whatsoever, cite "A good time was had by all" and "All was lost" (They lost everything?). Never fails.

6 Comments:

Blogger junebee said...

I just read "Opposite of Fate" by Amy Tan. She had Lyme disease and according to her book, it has mental symptoms and is difficult to diagnose.
I learned much more about Lyme disease from her book than I ever did in the mainstream media.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hesse, certainly!

9:49 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Well you don't get the symptoms till years after the tick bite, and by then it's too late. Luckily, I noticed a little freckle-sized deer tick on my thigh and went to the doctor's for a blood test right away. So all's clear, whew!

Yes to Hesse? Tess is impressed.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My my, we're a rhymey pair of Things today.

12:32 AM  
Anonymous oki said...

i say yes to hesse too, but no need to be impressed
.
LOL colleges.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Nv Nevada House Cleaning said...

Enchanting blog. Your site was off the chain and I
will return! I peep the web for blogs just like this
one.
Check out my co colorado house cleaning blog, you won't be sorry!

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home