Saturday, August 13, 2005

The Insomniac Papers, vol. 1

I've gotten into the worst sleeping pattern: staying up till three or four (or, the other night, five--horror!) then sleeping in embarrassingly late. I'm out of sync with all my family and friends, and I end up whiling away the night hours on the internet listening to songs on repeat. Whenever I try cutting my night short and getting up after just a few hours, I'm irritable and sleepy all day.

So, Plan B. I'm staying up all night. I'll do some cleaning--bedroom cleaning, bathroom cleaning, kitchen vacuuming, notebook organizing. I like cleaning, when I'm in the right mood; I like getting things done and I like being useful...and despite what my sometimes catastrophic room would have you think, I love neat-and-clean-ness. Play some music, have some tea, read Good Omens for a while (Neil Gaiman. Terry Pratchett. A comic novel about the Apocalypse. How could I go wrong?).

Listen to my new iPod, which is really my brother's old iPod. It's 20GB (my old one is 10GB--my sister has happily inherited it), and he gave it to me. I love that kid. Anyway, I loaded all my music onto my new 'Pod today and christened him Slim. He's a little bit cocky but also quite affectionate, and he has a great ear. He likes cereal a lot. (But then, who doesn't?)

And since I, ironically, delight in all things cynical and pessimistic, here's a little more R. Crumb: Life and Times:
"Though I might be very fond of particular individuals, humanity in general fills me with contempt and despair. I hate most of what passes for civilization. I hate the modern world."
Heh. I just read this to my self-labeled-cynic little sister and she said, Yep.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ia Iowa House Cleaning said...

Exciting blog. The site out did itself and will be
back! I love surfing the internet for blogs that are
exactly like this blog.
Go and find my ne nebraska house cleaning blog.

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home