Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Camus, spinach, origami, and other loves

It's sad when you start feeling indifferent to something you used to love. But I think I probably start loving more things every day than I stop. I stopped: jimmies, the internet, Andy Warhol. I started: proverbs, glasses (or, as I prefer: spectacles! in more ways than one), Tori Amos, driving, Camus, spinach, short stories. I guess at this rate pretty soon I’ll love mostly everything. Which makes me happy.

Speaking of Tori Amos, those of you who know how prone I am to sudden and potent obsession will not be surprised to hear that I am quite enamored. Each song is like reading a really great book—but no, that’s not a fair comparison. Each song is like finding out something new about yourself—every time you hear it. And like making a friend. And a story unfolding…and then folding into a different shape. Origami.

“She sings like an angel and rocks like a red-haired banshee,” someone said of her. I think that’s about right, or as close as anyone’ll ever be.

- - - - -

As I was listening to Tori, I missed Neil so I’ve been reading his short stories all day. I wish I wouldn’t keep getting stuck in my writing, but I guess it would be no fun if it were easy. Right? This is what’s supposed to happen. Right?

- - - - -

Could David Byrne possibly be any greater than he already is? Well yes, he can: “Sometimes it’s a form of love just to talk to somebody that you have nothing in common with and still be fascinated by their presence.” I like that.

4 Comments:

Anonymous David said...

You're a child of the internet, Tess. You may not be loving the internet at the moment but know that the internet does and always will love you quite dearly.

P.S. David Byrne didn't father the Oblique Strategies; Brian Eno did. You might be mixing them up because Eno was the producer behind the Talking Heads (as well as David Bowie and U2) and I think did a collaboration album with Byrne.

6:13 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Heh, oops! I did mix them up. And the internet and I have a love/hate relationship :)

8:45 PM  
Anonymous oki said...

hooray for the children of the internet!

korea has worn me right through..
but i'm still enjoying it,
although i'm used to a slower pace of life..

9:16 PM  
Blogger Ar Arkansas House Cleaning said...

Cool blog. I dig your site outline and I plan on
returning again! I just love finding blogs like this
when I have the time.
I want you to look for my wy wyoming house cleaning blog.

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home