Monday, June 20, 2005

A little wisdom from the inimitable Glenn McDonald, Cambridge's own unpublished music critic and crafter-of-prose extraordinaire. From the beginning of an old Sleater-Kinney review:
Here in the US, though, where most people (including many art students) think that art school is for learning how to use Photoshop and FrontPage, where all things are possible and so most of them never happen, where rebellion is an advertising style not a social imperative, and where independence is every bit as formal as government, we require rebel music to be made with guitars...
Reading his reviews are like reading a good book, and his passion and obsession are contagious.

- - - - -

I don't usually have the patience for biographies, but I love the allure of "real"--the things real people did; when, where, and how; who they met and who they married, why they went to jail, where they went in the wintertime, and who their favorite writers were. To satisfy this lust (ehh bad word-choice): WIKIPEDIA! Here's a good one on Jean Cocteau, knock yerself out.

In other news: French final done, a couple more tomorrow and then I'm off to go have a meeting/fun-fest at a bowling alley with the 826 folks. I'm listening to Regina Spektor and memorizing the political affiliations of various political leaders. A good time if I ever knew one :)

10 Comments:

Anonymous o to the keeee said...

yes!
Regina Spektor is supercool
tres malade!
(sick! Sick! too cool, the french-canadian way)

5:10 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Heh, I'm gonna have to use that phrase sometime.
...

Unrelated question: What is the purpose of a Xanga blogring?--other than to assert your membership to a small and cultish following of one thing or another. I've looked at them before but it's just like these sentences people write...not related to the topic. It confuses me. Am I missing something?

9:24 PM  
Anonymous o-k-i said...

hmm..
there is no purpose
except,
perhaps you might find people of the same interests
(bands for example)

otherwise, none I guess.

xanga is dumb anyway.

9:46 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Betraying your own!

10:15 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

P.S. Have you noticed that the comments on my blog have just become conversations between you and me? Heh. I like it. (But hey, if anyone else wants to join, feel free!)

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Dee ol-knee oh-kee said...

ha, I know!
i think I should make rivals more often,

but then, they might be miserable failures, whereas, we are the original tres malades.

xanga can suck it!
(a by 'it' i mean a popsicle they dropped on the dirty ground)

10:22 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Haha!

Yep, we're so tres malade that we have a fever and can't stop coughing dammit!

Perhaps it is those contaminated popsicles that did it...

Oh, so I have a plan: IF you are going to be in one place in Korea, give me your address or, if you don't know it yet, mail it to me once you're there (I can give you mine). We'll be trans-continental pen-pals!

(Which is a good thing for rivals to be, because THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD, so when we duel--as rivals inevitably do--we can proudly wield our verbose, kerning-correcting pens. And stuff.)

P.S. Tomorrow is my last day! You?

11:22 PM  
Anonymous oki-dee-dee-dee said...

yep, one more day of school!

and everyone will be tres malade with jealousy at our transcontinental rivalry, but not nearly as malade as us!

man, this summer's gonna be rockin'

i'll be mailing you first.

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Alison said...

Hey, I leave an occasional comment on your blog! I'll join in on the conversations at one point or another.

Thank god you are almost done with school! Enjoy. The weather over here in Portland is finally beginning to look like summer-today was beautiful and perfect for an afternoon bike ride around the city. Good luck with your last finals.

2:48 AM  
Blogger Va Virginia House Cleaning said...

Enchanting blog. Your site was off the chain and I
will return! I peep the web for blogs just like this
one.
Go by and hit my ut utah house cleaning blog, you'll be glad you did.

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home