Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Haircut today. A seemingly interminable time listening to the ditzy hairdresser talk about her boyfriend’s opinion of her most recent haircut and her own surprisingly fervent thoughts on the Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes debacle. Now my hair is much shorter and so shiny from the blow-dry that I kept fingering the newly shorn ends as I drove home (be-bopping to the Rolling Stones, natch).

Library trip, during which I looked at impossibly structured but quite beautiful dresses in Vogue and checked out a few books with my war-scarred blue library card. I started reading Jeffrey Eugenides’ Middlesex—I read his Virgin Suicides a while ago and it was disturbingly great—and so far it’s strange, but fantastic. It’s about a Greek-American hermaphrodite…yup. I vaguely recall reading an excerpt of it in the New Yorker a couple years ago, and it’s even better than I remembered.

Also: my sister and I decided that we need to re-read Harry Potters four and five before six comes out July 16th. We’re taking shifts (like Bloomsday!) of reading it aloud, so that one of us can eat/draw/paint toenails/loll while the other reads the book with the requisite over-dramatic dialogue and running commentary. Boy do I know how to have a good time!

- - - - -

I’ve recently become slightly obsessed with John Currin’s creepily vacant-eyed, exploitive, caricature-ish paintings. (Does that make me a bad person?) I don’t like the exaggeratedly busty ones, though... I like the portraits best--including this first one, which is called "Heartless," heh:







Happy Tuesday, gang!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*grins* Hi!

5:26 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Hi! I, um, edited the post, obviously. But hi nonetheless!

Tess

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Erin said...

Hmm... what is your favorite book (if you just had to choose)? I've been in the mood to read something new lately and I have no idea what. A copy of The Chronicles of Narnia is being sent to the nearest library, and I'm half-way through The Canterbury Tales and Jane Eyre and am re-reading the whole Harry Potter series (Wow, Petunia has blonde hair? I totally thought she was a brunette...), but I want something...different.

You know what is a very...er, different book? It's called The Effect of Living Backwards. The story of a woman who's plane is hijacked, but only to test a theory. It's very interesting. You should check it out once you finish the rest of your stories.

Okay, talking to you online right now. ;p

--Erin

11:05 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Heh, we're so wired dear! Absolute tops favorite book...probably The Golden Compass and the His Dark Materials trilogy in general. Or Milton's Paradise Lost.

And now I digress past one: Pride & Prejudice, of course; I also really liked Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, Rand's The Fountainhead, Gaiman's American Gods... um, actually, here's the list I made for my friend (in roughly order of importance): http://ohmy.tadalist.com/lists/public/70835

Ach you should know that if you ask me about books, you're in for an earful!

I haven't heard of Living Backwards but I'll definitely check it out, it sounds interesting.

Tess

P.S. I'm re-reading HP 4 and 5 as well, in anticipation of HBP. So soon!!

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Kurt said...

The barber always asks me about sports and in particular how my school is doing in the local sports leagues. I obviously never have any answers.

3:57 AM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Ah yes, I am inevitably questioned about sports as well. Usually I just say, "Ehh I wouldn't know"--but sometimes I make up something about being on the bowling/ping-pong/frisbee league. Or the chess league.

Which I'm not.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Erin said...

Ooh, yes! The His Dark Materials series is quite good. Pride and Prejudice is as well.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Ne Nebraska House Cleaning said...

Unusual blog. I liked the site its from so much I
have to visit it again! I surf the web for blogs like
yours in my spare time.
I hope you had a chance to check out my vt vermont house cleaning blog.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home