Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Max Ernst and Michael Borremans

I don't have time for a real post so I'm going to leave you with some paintings by a couple artists I've been interested in lately.

Max Ernst was a German surrealist painter most active in the first half of the 20th century. Here are two of my favorite paintings by him:


(Oedipus Rex)


(Celebes)

Michael Borremans is a modern painter, and his subjects are quite disconcerting in a way I can't place my finger on. I first read about him in this Guardian article. You can see more of his work here, but I've reproduced a few of my favorites below:


(The Barn)


(Trickland)


(The Fool)


(Fisherman's Luck)

4 Comments:

Anonymous oki said...

I really like the paintings by Michael Borremans...they remind me of film

8:40 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

I know, he's fantastic. Really eerie though...my favorite is the one with the women building that diorama--it's like their gods constructing the world or something.

9:16 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

*it's like THEY'RE gods--how embarrassing

9:17 PM  
Anonymous oki said...

yeah I really like that one too
and
the little habits, likes, and dislikes in Amelie are my favorite part
well, one of them anyway, there is simply too much to like about that movie

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home