Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Well, I wrote my entire history research paper last night, all eight pages of it. I finished it at a ridiculously late (so late it's early) hour and then proceeded to put together my bibliography, gather my notes, and cite quotations. As I was proof-reading it, I discovered inconspicuous but very significant phrases like, oh I don't know, "Insert intro here" and "Insert conclusion here." Damn my laziness. Once I wrote those, there was more citing, formatting, finding a picture for the title page (I chose a New Yorker cartoon--I hope cartoons are okay for a "serious" research paper!), one last proof-read and then print and staple. I decided to shower then because hey, it was already morning anyways. Then I literally collapsed into my still sheetless bed, wet hair in tangles, asleep before my head hit the pillow. And yet, re-reading the paper this morning--granted, I was in a delirious sleep-deprived state--I think it wasn't half bad. Miraculous.

My paper was about the Weathermen (who famously got their name from the part in Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues" when he says, "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"). My thesis stated that despite all their grand and violent demonstrations, the Weathermen were ultimately feckless in terms of affecting the political and social climate; so I titled my paper, "You Don't Need a Weatherman to Know Which Way the Wind Blows. No, Really." Thought that was pretty clever last night; now I'm not so sure. Anyway, thus ends the great epic essay-writing marathon. Boy oh boy.

I've been getting back into photography lately--looking at it and taking it. I really like the Flickr blog, Slower.net's photos, and these eerie Loretta Lux photos I followed a link to yesterday. (I'm reminding myself of that part in Annie Hall, during the subtitles scene, when Alvy starts talking about photography. Hah.) I'll try to Flickr the photos I turned in for my final project in photo class last year--but alas I haven't been back in a dark room since then. I really ought to get back in there; it's one of those rare places, like trains, that are just utterly peaceful for me.

The careful reader may have noticed that I added Oki's blog to my blogroll; she is a yab blogging from Southern California, terribly artistic and smart as a whip...and she has a zine! I think she's probably the coolest yab to join our ranks so far (sorry Shakeer, but you know we are both too dorky for our own goods). So hooray.

Today, after posting this, I plan to take a long nap, eat dinner, watch 24 off the TiVo--Jack Bauer, how I've missed you!--and then go back to sleep. That's how tired I am--and this coming from a girl known to survive on five hours of sleep a night for weeks on end.

Also, I convinced Shakeer to start a shoegazing group on Flickr and I'll be sticking on some of my own photos once it's up; I suggest you all do the same. Wait, you all do have Flickr accounts, right? Okay, I'm going to curl up on the couch now. See ya later.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Jay said...

You can get away with these kinds of titles for papers ? Cool.
I wish it would have been possible in my times (and school)... :-/

(I'm sure it's a blast to read!)

6:37 PM  
Anonymous oki said...

Your research paper sounds very interesting. We write reflections for english and my first one was on Nathaniel Hawthorne before we read the Scarlet Letter, and somehow I ended up comparing him to a character from blaxploitation flicks. Haha. My teacher was quite surprised. He likes to share things with the class, and he put up all the reflections he thought were good and then he puts up mine and goes "This one really blew my socks off. This is by Yoo-hyun and it came as a surprise to me because she seems very reserved in class." Also he confessed he didn't really know what blaxploitation films were. Anyway it was a bit comical. He's kind of an irritating person who starts off any criticism with things like "I love you but.." or "You're a great student but.."
Good thing he had been replaced with Mr. Beck, the student teacher, who has some idea of what he's talking about.

haha. see? i can be verbose too.

thanks for adding me and making me sound way cooler than i really am.

10:02 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Jay: Yeah, well I can have a goofy title as long as the paper itself isn't flimsy. But it's not :-) (I don't know how much of a blast it is to read, eh, but thanks just the same!)

Oki: Hooray for verbosity! Sorry to cut you off earlier, I had a bunch of things I wanted to mention to you but I haven't the time tonight--ach. That's quite a great story...blaxploitation, hah! And yeah you are cool, don't deny it. Later gator.

11:53 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Great blog.  I just like the site and I will get a
visit again! In my spare time I usually try and look
for blogs just as neat as yours.
Hey playa! You need to check out my michael jackson plastic surgery blog.

1:19 AM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Charming blog. Your site was off the chain and I
will return! When I get the time I look for blog like
this one.
Go by and hit my teen and plastic surgery blog, you'll be glad you did.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Nj New Jersey House Cleaning said...

Hype blog. And I admire your site and plan on
returning to it! When I web surf it always helps me to
find great blogs.
Check out my house cleaning blog, you won't be sorry!

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home