Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Paradise

I love Milton so dearly, I will scan a few lines to find a quote I'm looking for and end up reading 20 pages. Not a good habit when you've got a deadline, but he just makes my heart burst. Everything about Paradise Lost is perfect.

It has passionate battles in the sky, transformation, deception, strange chronology, rash debates, renegades...and yep, even a sex scene (with things like "carnal desire inflaming...in lust they burn"--how can you possibly go wrong!). And that's not even to mention the language. And characterizations, and metaphors (sustenance for a metaphor-whore like myself).

But my paper begs to be written. And I must try to bridle my adoration.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean! I mean, not exactly, of course, because everyone's experience is different, but Shakespeare: Avital as Milton::T.C. Or something like that. I don't remember how to write analogies properly.... Anyway, yeah. You'd think, since I'm so obsessed with Shakespeare, it would be easy to write a paper on him. WRONG. I care so much and have studied it so much that it's impossible to point a thesis, because there's so much to discuss! I could gush for a thousand pages, yet they ask for a pointed essay of five. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I sympathize. I'm sure you'll do marvelously, though! Let me read it, one of these days, will you?

Break legs with that!

- Avital

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home