Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Chalkin' it up

Yesterday I ended my post with mention of a summer teaching program in Cambridge (called Summer Bridge Cambridge) that I’m seriously looking into. It is a free program for motivated middle-schoolers from the not-so-great Boston public school system. Professional teachers, college students, and high-school seniors all teach classes in the morning (you know I’d be doing English or the humanities) and help with activities and camp-like fun in the afternoon. The really great thing is that I would be able to make my own lesson plans and really be in charge of my classes; I wouldn’t be a student teacher or TA. Apparently it’s a competative program to get into as a teacher, and it’s five days a week for eight weeks of the summer. And your pay comes to a grand total of $500 (though when we heard about the meager pay, my friend and I looked at each other like, money too?!).

It’s funny that I should be excited about this, because I’ve never even considered going into teaching as a career; yet my interests seem to be leaning more and more towards academia as I grow up. I want to be a writer, but I don’t think I could survive the solitary writer’s life—I’d need to do something else as well, something with lots of human interaction. We’ll see. For now, I have to focus on filling out the extensive application for SBC.

Speaking of academia and writing, I’m excited to announce that I got the position of editor-in-chief for our school newspaper next year. (I guess I’ll have to stop bashing it now, eh?) I almost didn’t even going to apply for the position because I’ve never been an intermediate editor, a step that’s almost always necessary for someone to become editor-in-chief. Needless to say, I was quite surprised and complimented with this turn of events; I’m going to turn that institution around and restore the journalistic integrity of yore! I think I may encourage the other staffers to address me as Chief, heh.

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :

Since I’ve decided that the majority of my readers are probably from one granfalloon in Portland, Oregon, I have a comment whose significance will probably be lost to any other readers: You will be interested to know that the acclaimed (and occasionally defamed) modern artist Cy Twombly (whom I’ve mentioned in the past) went through a chalkboard period in the ‘60s and ‘70s. He did things like this:



and this:



Add a bit of Ed Ruscha for irony by letters...



...Keith Haring for the graffiti aspect...



...and dadaism for irreverence (say the caption aloud, if you know French)...



I will say no more.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shakeer said...

Cy Twombly ain't got nothing on Shakeer Rahman! Well, other than a much cooler name.

6:53 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

(If you say LHOOQ out loud, it sounds phonetically like "She has a hot ass" in French. Those dadaists, such kidders!)

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Jay said...

I'm not from Oregon, but thanks for the educational post :)

9:54 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Hi Jay; where are you from?

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home