Monday, March 28, 2005

As a matter of fact, I actually do dare to eat a peach!

I have been sleeping on a sheetless bed for days because I always forget to make it till I go up for bed, and by then I'm far too tired to do anything about it. It's pretty uncomfortable, I really should do something about that...

Remember that peach post of a few days back?--"Do I dare to eat a peach?" That there, my friends, is the best line of poetry of all time (quite a weighty claim, I know I know), from TS Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock." Echoing it, a few days ago I leaned over to the girl next to me in French class and asked, "Do I dare to eat a peach?" I was treated to a rather nonplussed look and a vague "Uhh well I guess if you want to." Ah well, I don't know what I was expecting--I guess I was hoping she'd start spouting poetry or something. Or maybe give me a peach.

The poem's funny, though; first it seems full of non sequitors, with references to Dante's Inferno and yellow fog and peaches and Michelangelo, but I realized after a while that it's just about an indecisive, really withdrawn and shy guy trying to screw up the courage to enter the party so he can tell a girl that he loves her. Aww. (That's how it seemed to me, at least; you never can tell for sure when it comes to poetry! Heh.)

On a somewhat related note, yesterday I was talking to my dad about James Joyce, wondering if I ought to read Ulysses. I mentioned Bloomsday (love those Irish!) and my dad said that on that day, lots of people in Ireland sit around and read Ulysses aloud from start to finish--all thousand-odd pages of it. This led me to thinking: that would be a fun tradition to have, though maybe with a different book. For instance, we could all read A Tale of Two Cities on Bastille Day, or we could read On the Road on Jack Kerouac's birthday. (This seems like a fun idea to me, at least, but then I'm a nut.)

I'm listening to the Police and Sting belt out "Every Breath You Take" in quite an anguished voice, oh my. That is the kind of song I would mock in I didn't love it so much, hypocritical me. Seriously, how is that song so good?! I read somewhere that it has been played four million times on the radio, which is the equivalent of 24 years of consecutive radio play, 24/7. Gosh.

P.S. I stuck up a few leftover photos from my digital camera at Flickr. Take a look if you like. Fare thee well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nj New Jersey House Cleaning said...

Hot blog. When I get to seraching on the web for
blogs, its got to be like yours! And the site is off
the hook! I just kept coming back!
In an efford of finding the right info, check for my blog site.

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home