Wednesday, February 02, 2005

P&P: the saga continues, my picture notebook and Flickr, Beatles-Monkees mashup

Well, I just finished Pride & Prejudice, and I'm overwhelmed with love for Mr. Darcy. Alright, I know I've been declaring my love left and right these days--first Jack Bauer, then Jason Kottke, then Neil Gaiman, now this--but really, Mr. Darcy trumps all. If you still need to be assured of my sappiness...

"You might have talked to me more when you came to dinner," says Lizzy.
Darcy replies, "A man who had felt less might."

Aww. I could go on about him...and so I will. There is also the fact that he is endlessly ashamed when Lizzy reproaches him for not behaving "in a more gentlemanlike manner." In his own words, it is "inexpressively painful to me...You know not, you can scarcely conceive, how they have tortured me." Man, did he overreact or what. But at the same time, it's just so sweet that he cares so much what she thinks of him.

Oh, and some classic Mr. Bennet action: "For what do we live, but to make sport of our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" Gotta love that man--he sounds like me, heh.

Anyway, I'll soon need to write an essay on P&P, and though our teacher usually gives us theses to choose from, I always create my own thesis to try to make the essay more interesting. Thinking of a good thesis is, of course, the hardest part of the essay, but I think I'm going to write my essay somehow about Jane Austen's use of humor and sarcasm in the story. We'll see.

For those of you who don't care a whit about P&P (coughblasphemy), sorry for that long bit there. Ah, and I have some exciting news: this blog seems to be getting progressively more interactive-multimedia-ish, because yesterday I set up a Flickr account and today I've posted a set of photos there. (No, they're not of me.) You see, for almost a year I've had a notebook (one of the many) in which I paste various pictures and quotes and poems that I cut out from magazines and newspapers. This is another one of my obsessive little habits, but I thought it might be interesting for you all to see, so I took digital photos of the page spreads and uploaded them to Flickr. Without further ado, here is the set of photos (though they're a bit jumbled in terms of order). And here's one directly:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

In the future I will link to my Flickr account whenever I have a set of photos like this--the painting photos from before, for instance, would do better on Flickr than posted directly here. Regardless, I'll let you know whenever anything new goes up on there (is there a limit?).

Also, I just heard a terrific mashup of the Beatles's Paperback Writer with the Monkees's I'm a Believer. Paperback Writer is one of my favorite Beatles songs, you know--probably because I will end up as a desperate, slightly pathetic writer trying to pitch my book to strangers when I grow up. Ah well, que sera sera.

Finally, the post below contains one of my favorite beat poems; I post poems I like from time to time, but this particular one (chosen for its beatness) is in honor of me beginning The Great Ginsberg Syllabus. (I began The Tempest today, as I still haven't gotten hold of Mexico City Blues.) Enjoy!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.flickr.com/help.gne#34 for limits.

-desk003 (Cameron Conner)

5:42 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Ah, thank you. I think there are about 30 pictures up right now, so I'll definitely be fine with that. Unless you crazy people plan on checking back on those photos in a couple of months, heh. So right, sorry, slightly incoherent because very tired.

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so excited to hear about what you write! If you want to brain storm, I'd love to. In fact, I just love talking about P and P. Anything P and P. Especially Mr. Darcy, of course!

Congratulations on finishing the best book ever written! And remember - it doesn't only go downhill from here - because you can always read it again!

- Avital

9:25 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Oh Avital (sigh, chuckle). I can't believe you're getting excited about some analytical essay I have to write for English class. But then, I suppose your love of P&P knows no bounds... How many times have you read it? This is my second time, I'd guess your 12th. Hehe

--T.C.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Shakeer said...

One of these days, someone is going to break their legs and Avital will be to blame.

Anyway, I'm about halfway into P&P and although I can appreciate why Darcy is so awesome, I can't really figure out why girls admire him so much. He's been nothing but a jerk so far. Also, I don't see how Lizzy and him will ever end up together since at the moment, Lizzy hosts nothing but absolute disdain for him. At any rate, this all is making the novel very compelling.

P.S. I thought my moleskine was neat but dang, that picture notebook is too cool for school!

10:53 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

You will soon see why Darcy is so great. Trust me, he just gets better and better, until you can't stand it. And neither can Lizzy.

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home