Sunday, February 13, 2005

Beatlemania!

The other day I was sitting in the hallway at school, trying to get some homework done but pretty much just doodling. Two kids, a boy and a girl who I don't know, walked past me and sat on a bench nearby. "I wanna make a plan," the girl kept saying. "C'mon, let's make a plan." "I think I'm gonna go home and skateboard," the boy muttered. "What time is it?" The girl looked at the clock and--I'm not making this up--figured out the time by counting off five-minute intervals: "Uh, it's 11:30, 35, 40. 11:40." I proceeded to block them out and do my history homework. A while later, however, I looked up to find them doing the most bizarre thing. The girl was laying on her side so that her head was on the bench, ear down, and the boy was pounding his fist on the bench a couple of feet away from her head. "I can feel it!" she squealed. "Oh my god, I can feel it in my skull!"

Oh my god. I don't know why that struck me as so hilarious, but I was laughing uncontrollably. Just imagine it. Ah, now you're laughing.

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /



I just finished watching the Beatles's A Hard Day's Night--one of those feature-length music videos they made way back before music videos existed. I have to admit, the whole plot with Paul's Grandad was rather horrible, and half the time I was just scratching my head and wondering what the hell was going on...but I loved it. I mean, those boys are just so cute! And besides, I'm really regretful that I wasn't alive then, for I surely would have been one of those screaming, sobbing Beatles-worshiping girls. (It should be known that my favorite Beatles is George; his epithet, you know, is "the quiet Beatle." Aww.) Oh, and incidentally, you know how at the beginning of Austin Powers, Austin is running around London being chased by hordes of screaming girls, and he keeps hiding in phonebooths and such? That was taken from the beginning of this movie, yep yep.

Actually, I'm listening to "Back in the USSR" right now. My History teacher in 8th grade, the excellent Mr. N., was also obsessed with the Beatles; when we were learning about the Soviet Union, he played "Back in the USSR" for us and made us write down all the different Soviet countries mentioned in it. And once when he was giving us that requisite History teacher talk about the difference between fact and opinion, he said, "Alright, here's an example: The Beatles are the greatest band of all time. Fact or opinion?" This one know-it-all girl raised her hand and dutifully said, "Opinion." Haha. "No, actually," Mr. N. replied, deadpan, "that is a fact." The girl, needless to say, was quite confused; I was quite amused.

More about the Beatles: today I was trying to think of all their CD's, since I thought they had less than 20 and my dad thought 20 or more. I thought of 15! Ah, now "Yer Blues" is playing; the "yer"?--so excellent. I once had that song stuck in my head for a week straight. I know it very intimately now.

Finally, here is another pre-MTV music video; this one has a very young, very cute Bob Dylan and "Subterranean Homesick Blues." (After you click on the link, scroll down until you get to the Dylan picture, then click View Trailer.) I love that fact that he seems to keep losing his place in the song... Also, notice Allen Ginsberg hanging out to the left of the frame. And I'm sorry about that commentary during the video, but it's all I could find. Enjoy!

"Because the world is round, it turns me on.
Because the wind is high, it blows my mind.
Because the sky is blue, it makes me cry."

Best pun ever. Possibly the best lyric ever.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

If only Beatlemania had bitten the dust.

9:33 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Haha.

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home