Friday, February 11, 2005

And she hath risen from the ashes, and it was good.

Listening the Beach Boys's Hang Onto Your Ego.

After a week-long hiatus, I am back and blogging with a vengeance! I feel rather guilty for the recent lack of posts, especially since I usually post every day. But nevermind that--this will be a nice juicy post, I hope.

First of all, I recently came across a really great online radio station. There are no really good indie rock stations around me, so for a while now I've been digging about on the net trying to find a station that streams well and has consistently great mixes. And I have found it. Don't laugh, but it's actually a station from Minnesota Public Radio--I've been streaming it through Windows Media Player in Mono, which doesn't slow my computer down at all. You can stream it here, where they also post their killer playlists. Here's one:

10:00 am - 11:00 am
Pete Yorn - I Feel Good Again
PJ Harvey - You Come Through
Mahalia Jackson - Move On Up A Little Higher
Inara George - Turn On,Off
The Twilight Singers - Hard Time Killing Floor
Echo & The Bunnymen - Bring On The Dancing Horses
The Dead Milkmen - Punk Rock Girl
Bjork - Hyperballad
Tom Waits - Day After Tomorrow
Pixies - Gigantic
Tegan & Sara - I Know I Know I Know
Letters to Cleo - Here & Now
Moby - Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

While we're talking about music... A few days ago I read mention of a Hello CD of the Month Club. Huh? Naturally I did a little digging and it turns out that it's a now-defunct subscription-only record label handled by John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants; they sent out one EP a month, and I knew it was truly fantastic when I saw the Gothic Archies on the list. (The Gothic Archies is one of the many bands created by the unstoppable Stephen Merritt--yep, that's the same guy who's behind the Magnetic Fields, the 6ths, and the Future Bible Heroes. He has described the GA's as similar to the MF's, but "any glimmer of hope is absolutely extinguished." Heh.)



But you see, the key word up there is defunct--as in, it's lost its funk. I feel like spearheading an effort towards bringing the Hello CD of the Month Club back into circulation--anyone with me? Speaking of CD's-by-mail, if you're interested in this type of thing, you should consider subscribing to Paste magazine (I've gotten it for about a year), a bimonthly music magazine that comes with a really great free compilation CD every issue.

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

Listening to the Kinks's Waterloo Sunset.

Ah, so yesterday I had my second World Religions class, and it was fantastic. It's a two-hour class, though, and it's intense--there were so many ideas and bits of information coming into me--plus strenuous note-taking--the whole time that by the end I felt like my head was going to burst. It's probably more mentally taxing than all my other classes put together; naturally, I love it.

In order to get into Boston for the class, I have to take a 40-minute train ride in, and... Yesterday I was sitting in a long, virtually empty train car, Blood on the Tracks playing from start to finish on my iPod, sun setting, train rumbling and vibrating comfortably along, staring out the window at the thick snow swirling down...I felt so peaceful and happy, it was unbearably lovely.

(Speaking of Dylan, I've decided that "Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts" is my all-time favorite Dylan song. I was trying to think of my favorite songs by my favorite bands today and, besides that, I came up with "Jesus, etc." from Wilco, "Stephanie Says" from the VU, and "Here Comes the Sun" from the Beatles.)

I sort of had a revelation while I was on the train--I was just idly thinking, and then all of a sudden I felt something shift in my mind and everything looked different. I can't describe it, it was just this bizarre and wonderful moment when something changed in me a little bit. Hm.

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

While studying for my science midyears the other day, I was reading through my textbook when I came to the part on symbiotic relationships. I was thinking it would be funny if a couple were going through a tough time in their relationship (no, that's not the funny part) and one of them yelled, "We're trying to maintain a symbiotic relationship here but honey, it isn't mutualistic and it sure as hell isn't commensalistic, you parasite! I won't be your host any longer!"

Wow, I must have been tired when I thought of that, because man does it seem unfunny now. Ah well.

Hm, speaking of school, we've just been assigned a History paper and we need to have our topics by Monday. We can choose any topic from 1950-1990, but we need to relate it to politics in some way. My three ideas: (1) Folk music (coughDylan) and how it developed as a reaction to the changing political zeitgeist; how it reflected the feelings of the times. (2) The Weathermen. (3) Literature as a comment on--and especially satire of--the political system, with focus on Vonnegut, Orwell, and Pynchon. Thoughts?

And my LotR-WWII comment-of-the-day in History today was regarding the Winston Churchill quote, "The Battle of France is over; I expect that the Battle of Britain is about to begin." Now, I don't remember if this line is in the books, but in the movie Gandalf certainly says, "The battle for Helm's Deep is over; the battle for Middle Earth is about to begin." So there you go!

Oh, and I forgot to link to Arthur C. Clarke's letter to the editor in the latest issue of Wired; he was in Sri Lanka at the time of the tsunami. And besides, he's Arthur C. Clarke!

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

And I'll leave you with some links that have been floating around my computer... Is this an awesome necklace or what?



I read about this brilliant money-making scheme in Boing Boing a little while ago, and I wish I had thought of it! And these atrociously bad album covers had me literally howling with laughter.

By the way, someone asked a couple days ago why I title my posts like summaries. The reason is so that if I am--or if someone else is--looking for a particular post in the archives, titles like this make it a lot easier to locate. On the other hand, my posts have become so rambling and broad that the summary-titling has begun to be cumbersome. So I don't know; I'll experiment I guess.

And I hope that this nice long post makes up for this otherwise post-less week. Have a great weekend!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

It is quite odd (at least to me) to find posts which have a (broad) summary for a title, that's why I asked.

Sure, summaries help to get an overview, but they hardly stick. (and they make it hard to locate individual posts in the archives; actually, they don't really matter as I read your feed)

Haven't seen a lot of blogs using that kind of title style at all btw.

--j;
(blogger made me create an account, if I want to or not)

12:25 AM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Hey Jay

I guess I'll experiment with "creative" titles for a little while, then. It doesn't really matter.

T.C.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home