Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Painting

Well, I'm still figuring things out around here. To calm myself down yesterday I got out my oil paints, canvas, brushes, Linseed oil, and easle. They have been in the back of my closet for about six months, god knows why because I always love painting while I'm doing it. I guess I put my painting gear away during a busy time and then it was sort of out-of-sight, out-of-mind. My room was freezing but I stuck Neil Young into the CD player and dug up our little space heater, and then I just painted until the CD finished.

This had the desired effect--it sort of settled me and let me distract myself--but now I have the beginning of this painting. And I'm a pretty slow painter, so it's quite a rudimentary beginning. And like I said, I hadn't painted for six months, so the first thing I thought of to paint was flowers (stop laughing) because they're simple and colorful and I was wishing it were springtime.

But I didn't think about composition or anything when I began, I just sort of smeared paint here and there, and when I looked at it today I groaned because it's going to be hard to make something pretty out of it. But I'll continue working on it in the meantime, at least until I think of something I'd rather be painting. I think I'm going to be needing this self-imposed therapy for the next little while.

So what?, you ask. Well, to keep things interesting for you guys, I'm going to take digital pictures of the painting as it progresses and post them up here. I forgot to take one of the blank canvas with just my brown wash and pencil scratchings, but I do have a picture from fairly early on. And I worked on the painting to Counting Crows today, but I liked my yesterday's work better. Perhaps the music is affecting the quality of my painting?

Oh, I'm just putting it off. I have to say, I'm nervous about posting my painting on here. I can admit that it looks awful right now, but keep in mind that I'm feeling a bit rusty and regardless, it generally takes me a long time to finish a painting because I'm quite a perfectionist. Oh alright, let me try to load the pictures on...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

3 Comments:

Blogger Shakeer said...

Well, if you click the little picture icon on blogger, there are instructions there about how to upload the picture using Flickr or some other service like that. It should be pretty self-explanatory.

Or you might want to try this page. That'll host it for you and give you an address for the image.

9:21 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Thanks Shakeer! I used Imageshack and it worked great...I'll have to keep that in mind for the future. And by the way, I will probably never again be posting this many photos at once. I'm sorry if the page takes forever to load.

--T.C.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Ak Alaska House Cleaning said...

Fruitful blog. I favor your site and I shall
return to it! I go to sites like this when I get the
chance, and find blog just like this.
Please come by and see my nd north dakota house cleaning blog.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home