Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Miscellany

Today in History class we had a substitute who passed out a bunch of busywork, so Matt and I decided to work together on the sheets. Here's how it went:

Matt: Question one: to what extent did FDR's New Deal programs reflect a coherent policy regarding the roles of Big Business, Big Government, and Big Labor?
Me: To a great extent.
Matt: Good. Question two: in the political cartoon above, what does the toolbox represent? [written on the toolbox is The New Deal]
Me: The New Deal
Matt: Very insightful. Question three: write a paragraph detailing how and why...
Me: Let's skip that one for now and come back to it.
Matt: Good idea. Now we have to fill in this table, placing various New Deal acts under the appropriate headings.
Me: Well, we've got the CCC, the NYA, the WPA, the AAA...
Matt: Do you know what ANY of those stand for?
Me: I think the AAA has to do with agriculture, though I keep thinking of cars and alcoholics. Other than that, no idea.
Matt: Me neither. Why don't we just guess?
Me: Educated guesses, of course.
Matt: Of course.

We proceeded to put random letters under the "appropriate headings" and then talked for the remainder of the period about a variety of things, among them: The Life Aquatic, midget shortage, Charlie & the Chocolate factory, what movies we watched as kids, Roald Dahl, Chuck Palahniuk, The Crying of Lot 49, the Onion, Seinfeld, Family Guy, and (this was me, of course) how all the acts have names that remind me of the General Oblation Board in His Dark Materials. GOB. The Gobblers. "Have any of you guys read that?" I ask the people near me. No. Oh.

I have insane amounts of work to do, including (1) Writing and memorizing a 15-minute presentation about Aztec mythology. In Spanish. And make accompanying poster. (2) Studying for science finals. (3) Finish reading THE COMPLETE WORKS of Milton, then think deep thoughts in preparation for my big analysis essay for English. (4) Watch The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, because I want to.

So posts will probably tend to be either sparse or scatterbrained. Sorry.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol. You have a good memory it seems. I would never be able to remember what i said a few hours ago. :-P (well I would, just not with that much accuracy)

-desk003/Cameron Conner

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a good short-term memory, but an atrociously bad long-term memory. Embarrassingly bad.

--T.C.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Shakeer said...

Oh, that's interesting. I'm the absolute opposite: terrible short term memory but a pretty sharp long term one. See this is one thing I can't stand. People act like I'm bitter just because I have a good long-term memory. Also they act like I'm overreacting sometimes when I honestly haven't even noticed what it is I'm supposed to be overreacting to. It's only insecure people that do this though. Anyway, I have a moleskine notebook and it helps with the poor short term memory thing. Then again, I have terrible handwriting too.

-Shakeer

9:59 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Hm. I lost you during that overreacting bit, but ah well. Sometimes I'll be talking to someone and they'll say, "Oh, and remember that time when we did such-and-such" and I'll just be nodding along until they ask me something specific. Then I have to say, "Actually, I have no clue what you're rambling on about." Or else I can always make something up, if I want to really live life on the wild side.

You have a moleskine too? My only problem is that I can never refer to it aloud because I have no idea how to pronounce it. My dad says it's mole-eh-skeen-eh, but I'm dubious.

And also, does your lack of short term memory mean you can't cram? Because that would be a serious impediment to my education.

--T.C.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Shakeer said...

I usually say mole-skeen. I think the deal is that back when they made them back in Italy, they were actually made of moleskin but the Italians pronounced the English word moleskin funny. So I suppose the way to best pronounce it is to say moleskin with a funny Italian accent.

And hm, I'm actually not so bad at cramming.

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home