Thursday, January 13, 2005

Lists galore

Just because I'm feeling silly (or lazy, depending on how you want to look at it), here are a bunch of my favorites lists.

Favorite bands/musicians
1. The Beatles
2. Bob Dylan
3. Wilco
4. The Flaming Lips
(and what I've been listening to on repeat RIGHT NOW...)
5. Billy Bragg
6. The Postal Service
7. The Magnetic Fields

Favorite movies
1. Lord of the Rings, directed by Peter Jackson
2. Amelie, Jean-Pierre Jeunet
3. L.A. Confidential, Curtis Hanson
4. Metropolis, Fritz Lang
5. Annie Hall, Woody Allen
6. The Matrix (original only), the Wachowski brothers
7. M, Fritz Lang
8. Pulp Fiction, Quentin Tarantino
9. Star Wars, George Lucas
10. Almost Famous, Cameron Crowe
11. Spirited Away*, Hayao Miyazaki
12. Runners-up: Fight Club (didn't make the list because it's infinitely better the second time you watch it), Harry Potter 3 (and Harry Potter 1 if watched with the side-crackingly hilarious Wizard People, Dear Reader alternate soundtrack), Napoleon Dynamite (because it's just so damn funny)
*speaking of which, you should all read the profile of Miyazaki that was in the latest New Yorker. Doubleplusgood, what a great guy.

Favorite books*
1. His Dark Materials, by Philip Pullman
2. Paradise Lost, by John Milton
3. Harry Potter, by JK Rowling
4. Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien
5. American Gods, by Neil Gaiman
6. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and (especially) Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll
7. A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens
8. A Winter's Tale, by Mark Helprin
9. Neuromancer, by William Gibson
10. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, by Michael Chabon
11. Raise High the Roofbeams, Carpenters, and Seymour: an Introduction, by JD Salinger
12. Runners-up: The Sparrow, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Pride and Prejudice (I heart Mr. Darcy), Sandman
*my thrown-together little book site can be found here

Favorite websites
1. Kottke.org
2. Dooce
3. Neil Gaiman's blog
4. Guardian (Arts section)
5. McSweeney's lists (because they make me giggle)
6. Boing Boing
7. Mugglenet (not really a favorite, just convenient and oft-visited because I'm a Harry-Potter-addict
8. Wikipedia
9. Runners-up: Waxy, Instapundit, Slashdot, Mimi Smartypants

Favorite magazines (I can't believe I need a list for this)
1. Wired
2. The New Yorker
3. The NY Times magazine
4. Vogue (sometimes, but I don't subscribe)
5. And as a sidenote, I also like the NY Times and the Wall Street Journal, but those don't count as magazines, I guess. And I used to like Newsweek but now it's basically a biased gossip rag.

FAVORITE THINGS
1. Books (writing and reading)
2. Music
3. Anything that nourishes my sweet-tooth
4. Art (to make and to look at)
5. Movies
(But then, you already knew that)

Whew, that was an exhaustive list-o-lists. And lucky you, I'm too lazy to connect all those things up with links. I may later today if I have time. Oh yeah, here's a funny New Years Resolutions list I got from the Geese Aplenty blog; it really made me laugh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shakeer said...

Howdy, friendly blogger Shakeer here (the purple lake of desolation guy). Just thought I'd say that I cannot believe that we pretty much have the exact same musicians (minus Billy Bragg, I only have one song by him and it's on the Smiths tribute album which is on the whole really sucky and The Postal Service which I don't really not like as much as just gotten sick of the fact that a bunch of kids I know keep quoting their lyrics in their buddy profiles and xanga these days).

Also the same movies. Well at least the ones I've seen and I've seen and love most of those.

And the book on that list that I've read.

And magazines...I'm a WIRED addict! Also quite a fan of The New Yorker.

But wow this is certainly arresting!

PS. Hate to sound like a creepy stalker but I've bookmarked your blog and have been reading through it over homework periodically all evening.

1:46 AM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Yeah, I love it when I find people who like my music, my movies, my books. (And at my school, that's about two.) Billy Bragg's pretty cool; he sings with such a strong British/Irish accent that he says all his a's like i's, so he says "plices" instead of "places" and "inflimed"--no, I'm not making that up--instead of "inflamed."

And no, you're not stalkerish. I've been looking at your blog, too.

--T.C.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home