Monday, January 17, 2005

The Life Aquatic, film noir

Listening to Counting Down the Hours by Ted Leo & the Pharmacists.

On Saturday night I finally saw The Life Aquatic, and it was fantastically wacky. I was laughing the entire time, especially when Team Zissou spontaneously broke out into James Bond mode. And I loved the interns--unpaid but receiving school credit. When almost all them left during the mutiny, Steve says, "I'm not failing you, but you're all getting incompletes!" It's also great how Wes Anderson makes even the tiny details really stylish, like the Adidas Zissou sneakers and the fact that Steve had a moleskine notebook. And the t-shirts. Throughout the movie all the interns wore "Intern" t-shirts and Ned (er, I mean Kingsley) was always wearing tees and other random paraphernalia with the Kentucky Air (dubious name for an airline, eh?) logo.

The funniest one-liner I've heard in a LONG time was, "Oh, and this is probably my son Ned." I also really liked, "I want YOU--on Team Zissou." And so, so many others. And David Bowie in Portuguese...ah, indescribable. And that Mark Mothersbaugh score. The CG fish, especially the Ponyfish instead of a Seahorse. The little German kid who had Team Zissou-style lederhosen. The fact that the last-intern-standing joined the gang at the end. "I'll get you a red cap and a Speedo." The fact that Hennessey's crew all looked like Nazis, with their neat blond hair and blue, vacant eyes and EEEEVIL natures. I'll stop gushing.

But honestly, I don't understand why The Life Aquatic received lukewarm reviews at best. I've seen a bunch of movies this year that I really thoroughly enjoyed, but it seems like nobody else did. For instance, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and The Motorcycle Diaries.

And speaking of movies, last night I watched The Big Sleep, with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. I have to say, I love those old (and new) film noir stories. I may just have a film noir weekend sometime soon, watch all the ones I haven't seen yet. The Asphalt Jungle has been on my list for a while. (Side note, the best recent film noir was definitely L.A. Confidential. James Ellroy is terrific.)

So that's all, folks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is this Trish from school?

-Joe

4:58 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Nope, not "Trish from school." Are you the guy that asked earlier what T.C. stood for?

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home