Tuesday, January 18, 2005

The Killers, 24 and Chloe

Listening to the Killers's Mr. Brightside. Speaking of the Killers, their songs Midnight Show and Jenny both seem to be about some guy murdering his girlfriend. Or is that just me? The more I listen to the CD, the more it seems like all the songs connect to this--a bit dark of a theme, but I can take it. I doubt they're endorsing murder; it's more like when Nirvana wrote Polly--it was about rape, but it was ultimately meant as an anti-rape song. Though now that I think about it, that's a horrible example, because I think I read a while ago that some guys played that song while they were raping someone. That's so disgusting and horrific, I can't even think about it.

On a different note: I watched 24 again last night. I don't love the show, but I do really, really like it. The four-hour season premiere last week (Sunday and Monday) was intense, though our Tivo broke for about ten minutes of this. We actually didn't notice a problem when we were watching the show because of the way the scenes cut back and forth so rapidly, but yesterday when I was watching the "Previously on 24" part with my sister we saw all these parts and we both simultaneously yelled, "WHAT THE HELL?!" So, long story short, we watched another breathless episode last night. I love Keifer Sutherland. Also, you know the character Chloe?--she's the character that most reviews refer to as "the obnoxious one."

(Oh, for this anecdote to work, I need to reveal my last name. I didn't want to do that, but oh well. It's O'Brien.) So anyway, throughout the past, what, six hours of 24, various members of my family kept commenting on how much we like Chloe. Then we find out that her name is, in fact, Chloe O'Brien and I note that "like us O'Briens, she's smart but kind of annoying." Alright, that wasn't as funny as I remember it being. But ah well.

Anyway, so, 24 was good. My sister B. and I have a theory, for any of you who watch the show: we think that Beirus, filled with resentment at his parents, will storm off and somehow run into Jack Bauer, then he'll decide to help Jack out. It'll be like that Iraqi kid a year ago who went to the American soldiers and basically said, "My dad is a terrorist. I know where a lot of the bases and weapons are." Then the American soldiers basically adopted the kid and took him under their wing. (Speaking of that Middle Eastern family in 24, I like the mom even though she's evil. It's just that she's so pretty and gentle and she really seems nice, even though she obviously isn't. I wouldn't make a good crime-fighter, I guess.)

Listening to Billy Bragg's Greetings to the New Brunette. Bye guys--sorry so short.

11 Comments:

Blogger Shakeer said...

ooh, I love 24 as well! I didn't get to watch the episode this week but I saw the first four. I just wanted to say that the fact that the terrorists are a seemingly benign suburban middle eastern family that has its fair share of east-vs-west classes on a daily basis is really creepy. Why? Because that there is my family! Anyway, so far I'm not liking this season as much as the earlier ones. It's too outrageous at times ("oh no, the terrorists are attacking the internet!") and most of the dynamics are getting kind of tired.

And about crime fighting, sure you're a good crime figher. You just managed to flush out my pal Gus who has been posting rude comments here trying to figure out what T.C. stood for lately. He thinks it stands for your name. You see, we've both been hooked on your blog since you posted on mine. Another friend of mine, Danielle, also reads it. I think she's really envious of you because she keeps praising your insightfulness and fine taste. Not that I blame her. We've even talked about the blog amongst ourselves a few times and out of neccesity, invented nicknames to refer to you by. Gus was calling you Anna for a while. I suggested Jane, like the VU song since you like it but usually, T.C. has worked fine. Anyhow, Gus thought it'd be stealthy of him to try and trick you into revealing your name. Obviously he has failed. Unfortunatley for him, he actually thinks he has a shot as a real-life Jack Bauer. I tell him he'll be lucky if he makes the FBI, let alone CIA or CTU. "Your cover's blown, I want to see you alone, cancel all operations, tell your friends to cool it." That's Belle & Sebastian.

But yeah, I apologize on his behalf for being so foolhardy. He thinks his instincts are like Jack's.

Also, I liked your response to his heckling in the other post, Penny Lane. Oh and please check your Yahoo e-mail.

-Shakeer

9:17 PM  
Blogger Shakeer said...

Oh P.S., I certainly hope you don't mind that we've established a bit of a fan club here in Portland.

9:19 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Aw, I'm flattered. Tell Gus it's okay--I think he'd make a good Jack Bauer, he just needs to work on his aliases. "Franklin Brown" and "Joe" aren't really going to cut it in the CIA, eh? Might I suggest Ehrich Weiss or, um...Mr. Grieves? Mr. Tambourine Man? Mean Mr. Mustard? Mr. Shankly? Sorry, my bad sense of humor once again rears its ugly head.

And sorry that your family is "the bad guys" this season on 24. I've got a lot of Middle Eastern friends, though--I think you're probably okay (Debbie says earnestly...).

I was just thinking, I could tell you guys my name but how would you know I wasn't just making it up? I don't really have an issue with letting people know, I just didn't really want to post it on the internet--I've heard too many of those scary internet stories, I guess. Hence, the lack of photo as well.

Anyway. I like your blog too, and I might link to it if I knew how to add links to my stupid Blogger sidebar, grr.

"Goodbye is too good a word, babe, so I'll just say fare thee well."

--T.C.

By the way, you might like TV on the Radio, the Wrens, and Ted Leo & the Pharmacists

10:21 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So if your last name is O'Brien, where the FUCK did you get T.C.?

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahem.. er.. I forgot to sign my name on that last post.

-desk003/Cameron Conner

11:15 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Some people have middle names, honey.

--T.C.O. (just so you don't get confused)

11:17 PM  
Blogger Shakeer said...

Gus was a little upset that I blew his cover but he'll survive. Actually, Franklin Brown is an inside joke. It's sort of a pseudonym I use a lot. Well actually, it's more. Pretty much every time I write a story or anything, it features a character falled Franklin Brown. Isn't it just the cutest little name? Franklin Brown. Haha. Sorry.

Anyway, yeah I like Ted Leo as well. If all goes well procuring tickets and all, I should be seeing them live next month. And TV on the Radio I've heard alot about, so I'll make sure to check out. Thanks!

-Shakeer

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, get a hold of yourself, man. Your happily bethrothed. You got kids to think about, and Calculus finals. Let's not forget our life here.

"Oh, and have I mentioned that I like 24, Ted Leo, the Killers, and all the stuff you do, too?"

God, man, it makes me sick to see a bloke like you blabbing on like that. Seriously, I'm vomitting right now, "also not a good time to write anything down." And you say you aren't falling for this girl. Stop kidding yourself. You write incessantly long love notes filled with "sweet nothings" to make her heart melt. You can't stop hitting the refresh button to see if she has replied with anything, and frankly, I love it.

Shakeer, I haven't seen you happier than when you write to this girl. Now, even though it makes me sick, I shall attempt to stiffle my vomitting long enough to congratulate you on your new found love.

Keep up the work, too. Maybe you two love birds can meet someday.

postscript
This is not Ben...haha

postpostscript
I just like putting down postscripts and writing in a British accent, if that is at all possible.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Shakeer said...

Firstly, whoever you are, that's really immature and ridulous. Secondly, I don't really like The Killers.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Shakeer said...

*ridiculous

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home