Friday, January 21, 2005

Harry & the Potters, Ed, High Fidelity, Wired, sleep, betelnut, my multi-lingual class

Listening to Blondie's Maria.

Today I wore my Harry & the Potters t-shirt, and it was awesome. (I don't think I can explain about Harry & the Potters, just follow the link and see for yourself. Also listen to the terrific-in-its-terribleness music; I still can't figure out if it's satire or in earnest. And in case you care, my t-shirt is the pink one with blue guitars.) I mostly got strange looks, but eh. Not to sound too much like a fangirl (though I am), but anyone who says they don't like Harry Potter is either lying or illiterate.

When I got home from school, I brought my dogs out on a LONG walk so we could all soak up some vitamin D. We have so many heavy, gray days around here that I was ecstatic to finally see the sunlight. But man, it was COLD. I think -10F, if you count (the significant) wind chill. After about ten minutes, my legs were completely numb and tingling, and I was very red and dry-skinned by the time I got in an hour later with the pups. Thank god for Chapstick.

I also visited Ed. He was my teacher for 5th and 6th grade, and four or five of us still visit him regularly--every few months or so. I'm sure this sounds utterly pathetic, but he...is really like a dad to us. Our class was really tight-knit; the kids had mostly been together since kindergarten and Ed knew everything about us. We kind of catch up with him--reminisce, talk about school (and lately, college), his kids, our lives. So it was good to see him again.

Tonight a friend and I are re-watching High Fidelity. Such a great movie. Great soundtrack. Great Jack Black as the cooler-than-thou elitist rock snob. Great top-five lists. And we're making waffles for dinner, so yum.

Incidentally, Wired came today, featuring--to my delight--a cover story on Blake Ross and how Firefox is killing Internet Explorer. Better yet, it also contained an article entitled Why Wilco is the Future of Music. That made me happy. But I won't paraphrase the whole Table of Contents, you ought to just subscribe yourself.

In other news, there's a Ukrainian man who hasn't slept for 20 years. (Sounds like me.) And Boing Boing's continual obsession with betelnut has yet to abate. Here's where it all began.

Before I go, an observation I made (to myself) during English class today: It seems odd that the majority of my Honors English class does not speak English as a native language; in fact, many of them didn't learn English until they were ten-ish. Instead, they spoke Indian, Chinese, Russian, and in one case, Swedish. Sort of makes me feel like an underachiever.

Fare thee well.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Wired 13.02 has not come yet. Just as well, I'm still reading the 13.01. I dont read them fast. I get 4 mags total a month, and it takes forever to read em, since I dont just sit down and read, I spirattically read.

-desk003 (cameron conner)

9:15 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Oh, I'm more the type to just burrow into a book or magazine and read it cover to cover. The New Yorker, Newsweek, Wired, the NY Times Magazine--Paste and mental_floss are bimonthly. I dunno. The new Wired is good, but skinny; I kind of wish I wouldn't read it all at once because now I have to wait another month for the next one. I guess I'll have to get my geek fix at Wired News and Slashdot, eh?

--T.C.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Shakeer said...

Yeah, my 13.02 hasn't come yet either. That sounds really interesting though.

And Wired and The Economist are really the only magazines I read on a regular basis and I usually read them cover to cover, in one sitting if possible.

2:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home