Sunday, January 23, 2005

Blizzard update #2

I just got in from shoveling for an hour and a half. The snow in the driveway was up to my hips and the snowbank was up to my chest. It was light snow, but copious. And the wind was whipping around so hard that when I'd throw a shovelful of snow over the bank, half of it would fly back in my face--brr. To distract ourselves from the cold, B. and I made up appropriate-for-today lyrics set to the tune of Blowin' in the Wind. For example:

How many shovels of snow must we lift
Before the cement we can see?
Yes and how many inches high must this drift
Before from our school we are free?
Yes through how many feet of snow must we sift
Before we go in to our tea?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

In my mind, I've already decided that school will be canceled. Knowing how our superintendant prides himself in never canceling school, though, I'm forced to remain dubious. I have a test and a presentation on Monday, and I know I won't seriously study when I'm expecting a snow day. Man, will I be angry if we end up having school.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

An hour and a half of shoveling?!

I spent a couple weeks in Quebec over break where they were having a bout of 40 degrees below weather (fahrenheit or centigrade, it's the same either way.) Anyway, on the radio they said that ten minutes of snow shoveling is the same as an hour's intensive weight lifting workout. You must be really buff by now! Just take care of yourself, and stay warm!

- Avital

5:41 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

No, I unfortunately will never be buff. Maybe if the snow were really slushy and wet, it would be like heavy weight lifting, but the worst damage our's did was make our shoulders sore.

I think that my family is the only one in this town that does not have its driveway shoveled. "After all," my mom says, "what are kids for if not shoveling?"

--T.C.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home