Monday, January 24, 2005

"All" songs, Clockwork/1984 essay, Grammys, Ta-Da Lists, Salinger's uncollected stories

Listening to Billie Holiday's All of Me.

We had a snow day! I found out last night at about eleven, and today I've mostly been lazing about. It's nice.

I really have nothing much to say, except that I got my digital camera working again and I've been snapping pictures in my room and around the house, of the snow, etc. I may post some of them with my newfound photo-posting knowledge, but I don't want the page to take forever to load. So we'll see.

Hm, I was just scrolling through the all-songs list on my iPod, around the A's (hence the Billie Holiday song, and I just realized HOW MANY SONGS I have on here. Just songs starting with the word "All": All Along the Watchtower (Dylan), All Along the Watchtower (Hendrix), All Day and All of the Night (the Kinks), All I Really Want to Do (Dylan), All Kinds of Time (Fountains of Wayne), All My Friends (Counting Crows), All of Me (Billie Holiday), All or None (Pearl Jam), All Over the World (the Pixies), All That She Wants (embarrassingly, Ace of Base), All the King's Horses (Joss Stone), All These Things that I've Done (the Killers), All You Fascists (heh, Billy Bragg and Wilco singing Woody Guthrie lyrics), plus Allison and Allstar, though I don't think those count.

Tomorrow I get back that Clockwork Orange/1984 essay that I wrote ages ago; you know, that one I wrote in Nadsat. (You can see the Nadsat version here and the regular version here.) I don't think my teacher was too excited about me using A Clockwork Orange as my essay topic, so we'll see how I do.

Now I'm listening to Box Full of Letters, sung by Radiohead and Wilco. I really hope Wilco wins a Grammy for Ghost. But it is up against Bjork, PJ Harvey, Franz Ferdinand, and Modest Mouse. I think the winner will either be Wilco or Bjork (for Medulla). Speaking of the Grammys, I actually like watching those. That is to say, I like Tivo-ing those, then fast-forwarding so I can watch the performances. I hope that the performers aren't just people like Green Day, U2, and Ludacris--enough already. I'd like performances by Bjork, Wilco, Brian Wilson, Joss Stone, and PJ Harvey; we'll see.

And one last thing before I sign off: yesterday I signed up at Ta-Da Lists, a site where I can nourish my obsessive list-making.

Oh, and I found a link for the uncollected JD Salinger stories, which I'm making my way through now. You know how he lives as a hermit in a tiny town in New Hampshire and hasn't published anything in years? I bet that when he dies, people will find his house filled with hundreds of stories and novels. That's what I'd do if I were a hermit writer, at least. Heh.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun, Fun!
Oh, I got my wired 13.02 today :-)

-desk003

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, #2. My iPod (3g) has 2763 songs, 12:16:23:04 total time, 14.72gb on it. I don't use it much though, mostly use my computer. Use my iPod more in the summer. I don't use it when i'm at my computer because 1, Its easier to find songs in iTunes than on the iPod, and 2, the iPod's battery only lasts so many charge cycles.(500 i think)

-desk003

4:49 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

Your iPod's bigger than mine is; I got mine quite a while ago, and it's almost filled up now. I didn't know that the iPod battery only lasted a certain number of cycles, but I suppose it makes sense. Thing is, if the battery dies while you're still under the Apple warantee, you can get it replaced for free; if you buy a new battery from a different (cheaper) vendor it voids the warantee, but that works fine if the warantee's already gone. So I'll survive--as it is, I like to get as much use out of it as possible.

Also, I think that periodically running the battery totally out and then recharging it helps it live longer. But maybe that's an urban legend.

--T.C.

5:12 PM  
Blogger T.C. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home