Sunday, December 19, 2004

Harper Lee and Truman Capote, jokes and sarcasm

Listening to Oasis's Morning Glory.

First off, did you guys know the connection between Harper Lee (who wrote the lovely To Kill a Mockingbird) and Truman Capote? They were NEIGHBORS as kids; the scrawny blond Dill in Mockingbird IS Capote. Isn't that odd and magnificent?--two of the greatest writers of our time grew up together in some small no-name town. There must have been something magical in the water...

Incidentally, why does no one get it when I say, "What's the story, morning glory?"? It's not that obscure. Similarly, I often make sarcastic comments in a normal voice, and generally my none-too-perceptive listeners just look at me strangely because they DIDN'T PICK UP ON THE SARCASM. So it just sounds like I'm saying a very odd something that nobody agrees with. Oh wow, that last sentence confused even myself--eck. I guess it's just that I'm a very earnest girl, so people don't expect sarcasm from my mouth. Hm, I hate it when people do or don't expect something.

I think there's a quote from A Separate Peace that says something along the lines of, "Sarcasm is the protest of people who are weak." And sarcasm is a very big part of my so-called wit; ah well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home