Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Floating signs project, tsunami madness, Neuromancer, Napoleon Dynamite, other films and TV, dream

Listening to the Postal Service's The District Sleeps Alone Tonight, eating a candy cane.

A minute ago I was browsing through the floating signs project. I especially like the Jesus sign--like a sign from God descending from the heavens, ha-ha.

On a much darker note, I am struck with awe and horror at the destruction wreaked by the tsunami of a few days ago. It seems biblical and fearsome (especially in this account by a man who was swimming during the tsunami). And, horrible though it is to admit, the scariest thing of all is that I'm not as affected mentally as I ought to be by such a crisis. The death toll is up to 40,000 and here I am, peacefully sucking on a candy cane. I feel like I should be holding a vigil or praying for those who have lost loved ones. It's weird to be so detached.

I wish there were something I could do to help...

For my part, I've luckily been writing a lot now that I'm on vacation. I've also been doing plenty of reading; I just finished V for Vendetta and I started William Gibson's cyberpunk standard Neuromancer last night. It seems like the Wachowskis ripped quite a bit off Neuromancer for The Matrix. Ah well.

And on the entertainment front... A couple nights ago I watched Napoleon Dynamite with my family, and it was HILARIOUS. My favorite part was Napoleon's pick-up line: he walks up to a girl who's drinking 1% milk and he says, "Do you think you're fat? (beat) Because you could drink whole milk if you wanted to." Ha. Ha-ha-ha. It's like every odd trait in all the geeks you've ever known (including yours truly) combined into one uber-geek. I lurrrve it (as Woody Allen would say).

Garden State comes out on DVD today and I'm still dying to see Wes Anderson's The Life Aquatic, which came out on Christmas. I'm also excited to see House of Flying Daggers (word on the street--heh--says it's better than Hero). As you've probably figured out, I'm much more of a film girl than a TV girl, but lately I have been watching House on Tuesdays (the doctor is SO caustic and grumpy...and witty...and I'm oddly attracted to him even though he's old and unshaven and walks with a limp. What's wrong with me?). And you ALL know (to my intense embarrassment) that I'm obsessed with everyone's OTHER favorite uber-geek (this one more cool-geek as opposed to Napoleon's pathetic-geek), Seth Cohen on the soapy drama The OC.

Wow, I need to get a handle on these parenthases. Also, incidentally, I wish I lived in a Wes Anderson movie. Just something to think about.

Oh, and last night I had a very weird dream. In it, I had to choose whether I wanted to be pregnant or not and it was my only chance to have a child. But I'm very YOUNG, so I was torn... I think I ultimately decided not to have a baby, me being ever-practical. I was really sad, though, and I woke up sad. It's strange when dream-moods seep into waking-moods. Doesn't usually happen to me.

Now I'm off to shower and ready myself for the day. Bye all.

2 Comments:

Blogger job opportunitya said...

Wondrous blog. Your site was very pleasing and I
will go back again! I like surfing the net for blogs
as good as yours.
Hey why don't you peep my plastic surgery loan blog site.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Id Idaho House Cleaning said...

Fine blog. I found your site suitable for another
visit! And when I'm able to surf the web, I look for
blogs as great as your work.
I wish I was like you, but I'll go and peep your ms mississippi house cleaning blog.

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home