Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Dizzy spells, movie-quoting

Listening to Counting Crows's impossibly catchy Accidentally In Love (I think it's from Shrek 2, damn me).

Today was a weird day. This morning I was very contemplative, thinking about death and the future in my half-asleep morning haze. Then all day I kept getting random dizzy spells that kind of scared me--I didn't want to faint like I did a couple of summers ago. So I kept jumping up in the middle of my classes and hastily leaving to go to the water fountain and hang my head in between knees (getting blood to your head's supposed to help). I even had to do gym despite my dizziness, and I kept getting these red flashes and lightheadedness--argh.

English was fun, because as we were talking about the "meaning of life"--"sound and fury"--passage from Act V of Macbeth, E. and I kept passing Matrix quotes. I said (to class) that I thought Macbeth unconsciously let himself be killed by Macduff because he was so supersticious--the whole self-fulfilled prophesy idea. Then I passed a note to E. that just said "What's really going to bake your noodle later on is whether you'd have broken it if I hadn't said anything." And she grinned, because she just knew; I didn't even need to write in context or the speaker. I love it when you can just say a random quote and the person that you're talking to automatically understands.

This works even better with my sister and I. We both--though I more than she--are very copious movie-quoters. "I know this because Tyler knows this" (Fight Club); "I'll be down in three shakes of a lamb's tail" (Pulp Fiction); "This is just like a bad day in Bosnia" (Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels); "What say you?" (LotR: Return of the King); "A red sun rises; blood has been spilled this night" (LotR: the Two Towers I think); "I made him an offer he couldn't refuse" (The Godfather); "Well la-dee-dah!" (Annie Hall); and our favorite,"I just hate all these extroverted, obnoxious, pseudo-bohemian losers" (Ghost World). Ah, movie quoting...a precise and valuable art.

Speaking of my sister B., she said something quite funny yesterday--it was completely B.-like in its cynicism. "Win-win situations are very rare," she said, "Usually there's a loser, and usually it's me." I had cramps of laughter for about 20 minutes afterwards.

Now I'm listening to the Magnetic Fields's (Crazy For You But) Not That Crazy--the best line is when the singer says, "I performed acts of devotion / As if you were Ganesh." Love those MF's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home