Thursday, November 11, 2004

Why I hate school: a rant about being different

Listening to Wilco and Billy Bragg and Woody Guthrie's Hesitating Beauty. It's such a very nice sweet love song. Sigh.

Now I'm going to have a completely irrelevant-to-everything mini-rant. But I hate school--I've always hated school, or at least since 7th grade--and I could never really understand why. I know now...this is going to sound very mean and arrogant, but it's the people. There are lots of nice people, lots of smart people. But the supposedly "smart" ones are just intense and focused on getting into Harvard, and nobody--NOBODY--likes the things I do.

Nobody knows who Edward Gorey is. Stanley Kubrick. Neil Gaiman, Chuck Palahniuk. Mervyn Peake, H.P. Lovecraft. Toulouse-Lautrec. Gauguin. Bunuel. Philip Pullman, Milton, Coleridge. Blake, e.e. cummings, Edna St. Vincent Millay. China Mieville. BOB DYLAN. Wilco, the Flaming Lips. Billie Holiday, John Coltrane, James Brown. The Ronettes, the Shirelles, PHIL SPECTOR. Joni Mitchell. The Kinks, the Clash. Tori Amos. Lou Reed. Wes Anderson, Tim Burton. Everyone at my school has very emphatic political views, but they're all completely uninformed politically.

My favorite books, my favorite artists, poems, movies, music. I feel like I have to dumb myself down to have a normal conversation. People ask me to define words when I talk, if I use something like "coloquially" or "archetypal" or, um, "NURTURING." All they read is magazines, all they watch is chick flicks (which can be good. Sometimes. But people, enough already!), all they listen to is Now That's What I Call Music!... I feel like I can't relate to anyone. Sometimes I'll see someone who's wearing a Neil Young shirt, but it's always a stoner. Sometimes I come across someone with a good vocabulary, but they're always DULL. Sometimes... I don't know. I've never really come across someone who likes to read, unless it's swords-and-sorcery type fantasy. GAWD. I want to be in college, I want to talk to someone who won't look at me blankly when I make a joke about Blood on the Tracks (like I did in history the other day. To a very unreceptive audience). I want to be around people who know who Art Spiegelman is, who know what a graphic novel is, who know what the fucking PULITZER PRIZE is. I want to talk to someone who knows what SKIFFLE is.

Why do I live here??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home