Sunday, November 14, 2004

Philip Pullman's response (in full)

Hi all. I just dug up Philip Pullman's response to my fan letter from a while back, and I thought you might be interested in exactly what he said, since it made me so happy. I was especially delighted that I didn't just get a form letter; he actually took the time to read what I took the time to write, and he responded to me individually. I love it when you find someone who's not only very smart, but also very NICE. Nice is not boring, it's terrific. Anyway, here's his response:

Dear T---,

Thank you for your letter. I’m very glad not only that you’ve read my books, but that you’ve gone on to read Paradise Lost. I’ve just re-read it myself, in order to write an introduction to a new edition, and I felt once more that it was the greatest poem in English.

You write so well and so vividly that I can’t help wondering whether you will go on to write for publication. You’ve got an ease with words that doesn’t come to many people. If you do, I wish you every success.

And I hope that you enjoy the next (and probably last) book about Lyra, The Book of Dust. I’m in the very early stages right now, and I guess it will take me a couple of years to get to the end.

Keep reading! But there’s no need to tell you to do that.

With best wishes,
Yours sincerely,

Philip Pullman (signed)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home