Thursday, November 18, 2004

The Mumpsimus, Macbeth and Harry Potter, mental health day, the poor man's (girl's) AG and KC

Lately I've been frequenting the Mumpsimus, which is a blog by a voracious reader-cum-English teacher. It's funny to read a blog by an English teacher, because it's rather hard to imagine any of my teachers being so easy to identify with. I want him to be MY teacher!--I mean, he taught American Gods to his AP English class (coughLUCKY). I thought about writing him an email telling him this, but I don't know if that's just a vaguely weird thing to do. Then again, I am a vaguely weird girl.

Speaking of Weird (bad segway, I know, I know), I'm almost done with Macbeth. I like it a lot better than the other Shakespeare plays I've read both for school and on my own (Julius Caesar, Romeo and Juliet, and The Taming of the Shrew) but I don't LOVE it. Macbeth kind of grates on your nerves after a while--get a GRIP, man!--but I love the ruthless Lady M. and the Weird Sisters' chants are great; whenever I get to one of the witches scenes I start chanting the lines out loud in an ominous voice and my sister looks at me strangely. Funnily enough, however, she doesn't even comment when I do things like that. Just another day with T.C., heh.

And in a typical display of English-class-ness, my English teacher recently announced that we will be performing different scenes from the play in groups. My group's scene is the one where Macbeth hires the murderers to, er, take care of Banquo and Fleance. Of course nobody in my group had READ any of the play yet, so I gave them a very T.C.-style summary:

Mac: "Oh no, Banquo probably suspects that I coldheartedly murdered Duncan--an act that is certainly causing more trouble than I thought, dammit--so of course the only practical course of action is to coldbloodedly murder Banquo as well. And Fleance too, just because. Hey hitmen, come hither!"

Hitmen: "Yuh? Wha?"

Mac: "Remember Banquo? That guy that I used to be friends with? Well...remember how a while ago, he did that thing to you guys?"

Hitmen: "Uh...no. What thing?"

Mac: "Just trust me. He did something to make you guys really mad. You'd better get revenge."

Hitmen: "Um, okay!"

When my group-mates kept mixing up Macbeth and Lady Macbeth in the play, I suggested that we refer to them as just Mac and Beth. They did not think that this was such a brilliant idea. Then E. and I decided it would be fun to do a "modern interpretation" of our scene using Harry Potter. Mac is going to be Malfoy, Banquo HP, Lady M. Pansy Parkinson, the hitmen Crabbe and Goyle, and the Weird Sisters Professor Trelawney. We'll see how it turns out, hm...

And that's all for today. I'm taking what I like to call a "mental health day" off from school tomorrow; I'll probably finish up The Scar and start reading Paradise Regained or something else by Milton. Or maybe the Thornbirds. I also want to read Dostoyevsky's Notes from the Underground, but I have to get it out of the library first. I might rent a movie, too--maybe something by Jim Jarmusch?

Also--I don't remember if I mentioned this before--I ordered two used paperbacks off Amazon.com. The cheapest possible way to acquire books. I bought American Gods and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, and the combined GRAND TOTAL was $3. God, I'm such a cheapskate. I'm going to annotate AG when I re-read now that I've learned so much recently about the Norse gods and ifrits and kobolds and etc. Then I just have to find a victim to shove the book on--annotations and all--and force him to read it. Spread the joy, even if it requires, um, intimidation. Ha, I've probably never intimidated anyone in my life. But once my school reads my brilliant Neil Gaiman article in the school paper, I like to hope that they, too, will rush to the used books part of Amazon (hell, they could buy the hardcovers BRAND NEW, damn rich kids) and read everything Neil has ever written. Including the Duran Duran biography, heh.

That's all for today; I'm going to go watch Seth on the O.C., nourish my inner angsty teen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home