Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Howl's Moving Castle, The Life Aquatic, Christo's Gates in NYC, folklore of Miami street urchins

Listening to Biomusicology, by Ted Leo and the Pharmacists. Cool band. They're playing at a Cambridge nightclub in December, I'm going to try to get tickets.

I'm exciting about seeing Miyazaki's new endeavor (he made the incredible Spirited Away), Howl's Moving Castle. It's based on a Diana Wynne-Jones book, which is a good sign, and the clips and stills and descriptions of it that I've seen thusfar are all great. It hasn't come to the US yet, but it's setting records in Japan. I remember reading about it a few months ago in Wired and thinking idly that I'd have to see it when it came out. Soon, hopefully.

Also on the film front, Wes Anderson's The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou comes out on Christmas, and if Anderson's past movies (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums) are any indication, it will be terrific. The cast includes Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett, Owen Wilson, and Anjelica Huston. I really like this promotional poster.

Incidentally, I'm sure you've all heard about Christo and Jeanne-Claude's upcoming installation; it's not exactly new news, because we've known the idea for years, but the REALITY of it is recent. For those of you scratching your heads, in February Christo (who in the past did Running Fence, Surrounded Islands, etc.) is going to install The Gates, saffron-colored curtains framing the miles upon miles of paths in NYC's Central Park. I told my dad that I want to visit colleges in New York over February vacation, but really it's just an excuse to get to see the exhibit--can you believe I'm actually going to be able to see and TOUCH a Christo installation!? I'm veddy veddy excited, but when I gushed about it in school, I only got some blank stares. Ah well.

And that's pretty much all for today. My brother's home after his train was delayed five hours, and he's still asleep now at 2:15 in the afternoon. Tomorrow's Thanksgiving and also HP-semi-marathon-day for me, which is exciting.

Oh, I almost forgot: read this article about folklore among the street urchins in Miami. It's true, and it's very Joseph Campbell--they created these stories instinctively, and homeless kids in other cities have extremely similar folkloric tales. I want to write a story about it; maybe I'll post it here if I do. Happy Thanksgiving, all!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mi Michigan House Cleaning said...

Exciting blog. Your site was amazing and will be
back again! I never get tired of looking for blogs
just like this one.
Check out my wv west virginia house cleaning blog, you won't be sorry!

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home