Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Before Sunset, Freya and her battle-boars, Alph

Listening to Counting Crows's Hanginaround.

Still sick, urgh. I've mostly been sleeping, drinking copious amounts of tea, and reading. I just watched Before Sunset, which was lovely. Those two movies...I don't know what it is about them, they just make me feel so warm, like other people think the way I do. And it was romantic with just the right amount of cynicism and guardedness. Oh, I'm getting rhapsodic, I know.

I'm sorry, I really don't feel like blogging right now. I want to sleep, but I probably need to do some of my homework. Ach.

On a brighter note, I've made some real--though not TANGIBLE--progress with my story (The Hidden City); a lot of the characters have solidified more in my brain, and I'm having fun tying them in with old myths and symbols. Funnily, a chapter has existed for a while that has Neilos besting a pack of wild horned boars, then he gains a boar-horn as a sort of prize that will later call the boars to Freya's aid in battle against Ganghror or the Makhara.

This idea was flung back at me today when I was on Wikipedia and I looked up Freya (because I knew she was the Norse goddess of fertility--get it? the Eve, the mother of the new world, giving birth to the next age?--but not much else. Turns out she rode a boar (called Hildisomething) into battle and commanded boars in the myths. So, quite a strange coincidence, eh? It feels a little magical.

Oh, and did you know that Alph was not just the river in Kubla Khan? It was actually the name of a mystical underground river in Esotericism that was supposed to represent the secret knowledge of the continent. So I'll see what I can do with that...

I'm listening to Someone Else's Story, from the musical Chess. It's a lovely song; there's something so nice about those rich rolling voices of musicals or operas. Bye--I'm off to nap my headache away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home