Thursday, October 07, 2004

Thesis essay, Meliora weekend, literary terms

Writing my thesis essay on Remains of the Day. Actually I did a rough draft a few days ago--and generally my rough drafts are pretty similar to the final product--but the other day I was staring boredly at my run-of-the-mill thesis during a free period when all of a sudden I was hit with a revelation as to what my essay should REALLY be about. This of course involves totally rewriting my thesis and the whole long essay, though hopefully I can recycle some of my laboriously chosen quotes. If I didn't want to be a writer, I would certainly not spend so much time to make my essay go "above and beyond." But when you consider that this is really the only class that matters to me, I suppose I'd better give it my all.

On a completely different tangent, coming up is the first three-day weekend in a long time. I was initially very excited about this, but then my parents reminded me that this is the weekend that my family is going to drive to visit my brother at the University of Rochester (a good six hours away, my dad said. I prefer "a bad six hours away"). It's called Meliora weekend--and I know from Latin class that that means Better weekend. Frankly, I don't think a weekend up there is going to be better than a weekend at home--and it's supposed to be some kind of a family see-the-campus type thing. My mom's excited; my sister's annoyed (her emotion of choice); my dad's resigned; and I am feeling rather bitter. I mean, I've seen my brother for every day of my life for the past 16 years and he's only been gone for a month...I think I can handle not seeing him until winter vacation in a couple more months. Argh, my mom apparently CAN'T handle that.

Speaking of winter break, we're thinking about going somewhere for those 10 days or so since we haven't been away for the past couple of summers. We thought of Bangkok and Thailand in general, but then decided that considering the short amount of time available, it might not be smart to waste a singificant amount of it jet-lagged. Now we're considering Panama, but who knows.

In English class, I love all the literary terms associated with Beowulf: litotes, kenning, epithet, etc. Although litotes sounds vaguely raunchy and kenning seems like something that an old man from Louisiana would say. Epithets, on the other hand, have no downside. They're universally awesome. I get some awe from them, that's right.

And by the way, for those interested, the Taming of the Shrew script was finished and handed in as planned, so THAT'S out of the way at least. Got to go finish that damned essay now--I hate being an over-achiever.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ick and me said...

T.C. Your chatty postings reveal a keen intellect and the literary sensabilities of great writing potential.
Never forsake the quest for perfection with words. By age of 15, William Saroyan was sure he wanted to be writer. (He won a Nobel prise for literature!)

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home