Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Music obsessions, Dylan's memoirs, SNL, general chilliness

Listening to Wilco, of course. I'm certainly nurturing my present obsession with Wilco, but oh well. Over time, there have been a select few bands that I would file under the "obsession" category: the Beatles, the Flaming Lips, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Wilco. Milder obsessions include Counting Crows, Pete Yorn, Elton John, the Who, and Rufus Wainwright. Though of course there are a thousand others.

Speaking of Dylan, his memoirs are coming out very soon. I'm generally not a big biography/autobiography lover, but I'm definitely going to read these. There was an excerpt in Newsweek last Tuesday, and the book seemed interesting--written very coloquially, not novel-ly, which I'm happy about. Not because I don't like novels, but because I really want to get a sense of Dylan's voice (though he's supposed to be a grump).

Incidentally, I watched the first presidential debate on Thursday--interesting, but I was far more ENTERTAINED by the lampoon of the debate that Saturday on SNL. I'm tempted to try to describe it, but I'm awful at relating jokes. Veddy funny. The thing with SNL is it's either jaw-snappingly funny or dull and grim. Even minus Jimmy Fallon and Will Ferrell, a very funny episode.

Living in New England, October is officially the beginning of the long and bitter winter. I wake up and stars are still hanging in a pitch-black sky. During my first period gym class, we have to play softball on grass that's literally white with frost, which means that by the end of the period our feet are drenched and completely numb. How lovely. And my terrific school doesn't turn the heat on until October 15th, so... At home, I heat my little room by turning on a bunch of fluorescent lights, which heat it up quite effectively, but suck up electricity.

Guess I'd better get going and do my Spanish homework. Adios, amigos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home