Wednesday, October 27, 2004

The library, Nadsat essay, Halloween film-fest, reverse the curse (maybe)

Another short-ish post.

Today I was at the library and I checked out a bunch of CD's that I'm going to copy on my computer (I'm such a delinquent). Billy Bragg and Wilco's Mermaid Avenue, the Traveling Wilburys, Tori Amos's Strange Little Girls, the Pretenders' Viva la Amor, 10,000 Maniacs' Our Time in Eden, and Weezer's blue album. Hm...I should have lots of good music to invigorate me in the morning ("in the Bible-black pre-dawn") when I'm sipping my coffee and reading the Arts section.

I also checked out Burgess's A Clockwork Orange; I've already read it, but I'm rereading it so I can write my choice essay for English on similarities between Orange and 1984--the way the tyrannies put down crime, for better or for worse, and of course the significant uses of language (Nadsat in Orange, Newspeak in 1984) in the two stories. I've decided that I'm going to write the whole essay using Nadsat (to see how expansive it is, click here)--weirdly, I've unconsciously begun thinking in some Nadsat phrases...especially "gulliver" for "head," "moloko" for "milk," and the excellent "horrorshow" for "great."

And last but not least, I took the Nightmare Before Christmas out of the library as well--it shall be one of many Halloween-y films that E., M., C., R., and I will be watching this Sunday. My sister and S. might also join us. Any suggestions for cool creepy-type films? I'm thinking Rosemary's Baby, Edward Scissorhands, Psycho, Evil Dead, Night of the Living Dead... Hm, I'm getting the vague feeling that I've listed these movies here before; am I just repeating myself?

Ah well, off I go to root for the Sox: reverse the curse! Actually, I'm more excited about digging into some of Brighams's Reverse the Curse ice cream than I am about seeing the game itself. Yesterday night I told my dad (to his utter disappointment) that I secretly wanted the Sox to NOT win the World Series, because it was more fun to root for the underdogs and hold onto that dogged hope that THIS year might be the year. Everything will be anticlimactic if the Sox really win the WS...but who am I to say, after all?

1 Comments:

Blogger Ga Georgia House Cleaning said...

Super blog. I web surf when I have the time for
blogs like this one.Your site was nice and will be
visited again!
Please take a journey to my id idaho house cleaning blog.

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home