Monday, October 04, 2004

John Lennon's Jukebox, colleges, In America, "the captain of evil"

Listening to Fontella Bass's Rescue Me. I discovered all these great old (mostly black) rock songs from the '50's and '60's when I watched a PBS Great Performances on John Lennon's Jukebox. It was neat to see how so many of the songs (from his actual LP jukebox) influenced Beatles songs. You can find a list of the 40-something songs here.

Looking at colleges a little and so far I'm interested in Vassar and Grinnell. Haven't really had time to look into a lot, though, so I can't say that these are the ONLY ones I like. We'll see. I hope my partial home-schooling doesn't hurt my chances of getting into a good college. I'm not a slacker!--but I know that's probably what it seems like to college admissions officers. Oh well, time will tell.

The Lovin' Spoonful's Do You Believe in Magic? Whenever I hear that song I think about the scene in In America when they drive through Times Square and that song's playing on the radion. What an amazing movie, by the way.

And the great Beowulf tidbit of the day: one of Grendel's epithets is "the captain of evil." How great is that?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home