Thursday, September 30, 2004

Sgt. Pepper, Hrothgar and etc.

Listening to the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It's crazy that almost every music lover agrees that this is the best record of all time. It's stated like fact--"well, of COURSE Sgt. Pepper is the best CD ever. Like there was ever even a competition, pfft." I especially like "Fixing a Hole," "She's Leaving Home," and--oh, why am I even attempting to choose favorites?! But for the record, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" is officially the best weird song ever, or else the weirdest good song ever. How zany.

Speaking of Sgt. Pepper, have you ever looked at the guide to all the celebrities portrayed on the cover? The people range from Indian gurus to Shirley Temple, Karl Marx, Albert Einstein, Marilyn Monroe, Lenny Bruce, William Burroughs, the former Beatle Stuart Sutcliffe, etc. etc. For a complete list, click here.

Tonight I'm going to watch the first Presidential debate, and I'm veddy excited. Though I must also finish homework. Tomorrow I've got an appointment with my counselor and hopefully all will go as planned, meaning a week from now I'll only be in school till about eleven o'clock and then I'll be studying math, environmental science, astronomy, philosophy, and politics at home. Hip hip, hooray!

And finally, the Beowulf update: in addition to the old favorites Shield Sheafson, Beow, Halfdane, Hrothgar, Grendel, and of course the titular Beowulf, we've recently met Unferth and Welhtheow. Love those names. I wonder what would be the reaction if, when I have kids, I name them Beow and Hrothgar. What a hoot.

Now, off to draw energy pyramids for Environmental Science.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a humor teesTee site called Holden Tees. We're a small company and we sell shirts and stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time

-Holden Tees

8:37 AM  
Anonymous astronomy charts said...

Well done on a nice blog T.C.. I was searching for information on astronomy telescopes and came across your post Sgt. Pepper, Hrothgar and etc. - not quite what I was looking for related to astronomy telescopes but very interesting all the same!

Well, it's a new year - in fact it's almost the Chinese New Year. I'm still putting together astronomy lesson plans for the first and second semesters. This year the budget allows us to purchase a new telescope for the science group. That's great so we're still juggling the numbers how to get best bang for the buck! Not the 'big bang' you understand LOL. I'm coming down on the side of the Meade LX200GPS 12" Schmidt-Cassegrain. Let's wait and see.

If you do have a moment, please take a look at my new site on: Astronomy for Kids .

A happy new year to everyone!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Mi Michigan House Cleaning said...

Powerful blog. The site was incredible and will be
back again! Web surfing helps to find good blogs like
this one.
Please examine my vt vermont house cleaning blog as soon as you can.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home